Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Three Dates and a Flirt

So, date number one was, well, just sort of dull. I figured there weren't gonna be any sparks, but I went out with him anyway just to check him out. It wasn't bad per se. We ate chowder and walked along the beach. I asked him questions about himself and didn't offer much about my life. But he was droll and soft and had no spark. I don't care if you work in a warehouse or wallstreet, but I want to see that something drives you beyond the status quo. We parted with a handshake and a "take care."

Date number two was more interesting. He showed up wearing a purple, velvety turtleneck and a man purse. I figured he had to be bi or European... he was both! He was a renaissance man of sorts and had done all sorts of fascinating things. So the conversation was interesting and we both talked fast and jumped from thought to thought, always winding our way back to tie off unraveled threads. He told me how his parents both had on-going affairs outside of their marriage and I told him about my adventures trying to get myself knocked up. We were like minded in our world views and neither one of us hesitated to put it all out on the table. Our date ended with him blowing me a kiss in a trans-continental fashion (i.e., with more flare than the typical open palmed American gesture) and saying he would ring me up later.

The third date was what I would call comfortable and sweet. I met her at a coffee shop and we sipped on lattes and caught up. I did most of the talking, as I am wont to do when I'm at all nervous and have had caffeine. He chatted about our pets and our jobs and our coming out stories, hers being much more interesting than mine. We took a long walk in the drizzle on a small pier in the middle of town and looked at the boats. It was chilly outside, but being with her felt warm and cozy. We ended our date with a hug and a tentative plan to get together in the coming week.

All three of them emailed later to say they had a nice time and propose we get together again in the future. Which was nice since lately I've been feeling pretty undesirable. But I don't know. I want some sparks, you know? Fire. Or at least some smokey smoldering.

Speaking of which, Chico and I are going fishing tomorrow after working out. I'm gonna play hookie from my staff meeting to do it, which somehow makes it even more exciting. This morning he gave me a brief little massage on my shoulders while I sat on one of the circuit training stations. And while it didn't send jolts of electricity down my spine I think there was just a slight tingling at the base of my spine. Sparks? Maybe so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home