Sunday, December 11, 2005

Cunt

I felt as though I had been hit, hard, in the face. Not an open handed girly smack that smarts like "bitch!" No. More like a full on manly punch that pushes you off your feet and sends you reeling backward wondering what-the-fuck-just-happened-to-me? Had he really just called me a cunt? Did he really say that? How could he possibly think that was gonna turn me on?

I could take all the grabbing and hair pulling and pinching, all the shoving and choking and biting he dished out without so much as batting an eyelash. But that one word knocked me out cold like a fist. It made me feel beaten down and degraded. If words could leave bruises I woulda looked like Jake La Motta's wife right then.

As a child the only time I heard that word was when my mother was irate. Livid. It was reserved for moments of utter contempt. The boss who fired her was a cunt. The landlord that evicted us was a cunt. The friend that lied to her was a cunt. I knew, without being told, it meant the person was beyond redemption. They were no longer welcome in our lives. And only women were cunts. Men were just jerks. Or assholes. Or bastards. And that was pretty much to be expected. And readily forgiven. But a woman who was a cunt was a traitor to all. She was worthless and debased. She was to be ostracized. Alienated. Banished.

Unwittingly, unwillingly, I had inherited my mother's vernacular, just as she had surely been handed the torch from her mother, and so on and so on. Vernacular, from the Latin vernaculus, from verna, a slave born in the master's house. And the truth of the matter is that women have a long history (doesn't that word just say it all?) of being the slaves of men, sexual and otherwise, since forever and that legacy is built into the very fabric of our beings. Our language. Our thoughts. Our desires. What made that word sting so much was the subtext; that my entire being, my intellect, my soul, my body, could be reduced to one word: cunt. And not even my cunt. His cunt.

And here was my lover, this man who is so sweet and gentlemanly, who had been so careful to establish clear boundaries and respectful limits before any salacious words were spoken or bare flesh revealed, who surely knew firsthand what it was to be reduced to a cunt himself, even he found some satisfaction, some thrill, some power in using the one word that rendered me powerless. Or so it seemed to me at that moment.

But, as it is with all things that hurt at first, there was a lesson to be learned. An opportunity for transcending the pain, for personal transformation.

cunt (noun)
1 the female pudenda; also : coitus with a woman
2 usually disparaging and obscene

Now, intellectually speaking, I know that there is nothing inherently evil or "obscene" about my cunt or about sex. God gave me both, right? And it seems to me that God meant for me to celebrate his/her gifts, not to snicker and sneer at them like I'm the victim of some unfortunate white elephant gift exchange. That's what my head says anyway. But, if I am to be truthful, there are voices that say yes indeed, my cunt is icky and smelly and shameful, and my desires are something I should be ashamed of. But I know in my heart that I should tell those voices to shut the fuck up. They are the same voices that tell me I'm too fat to be sexy, or too stupid to be president, or too weak to kick your ass. And we know whose voices tell that story, right? His story.

Rather than buy the "disparaging and obscene" definition of cunt any longer from here on out I'm gonna opt for the new improved unabridged Curious Pussy definition:

cunt (noun)
1 the female pudenda - a sexy, splendid and sacred part of the female anatomy that is gifted with the power to give joy and pleasure to the owner and the person(s) with whom she chooses to share her cunt
2 an expression of praise and reverence of the sensual and sexual powers of the cunt, often uttered during moments of passion inspired by the cunt; as in "yeah, that's so nice you cunt, you're gonna make your daddy cum for you."
3 one who possesses the powers of the cunt

So now, whenever someone calls me a cunt, I'll take it as the compliment it was meant to be.

By the way, if you haven't done it already, you really should read "Cunt" by Inga Muscio. It's a beautiful thing.

10 Comments:

Blogger sammygirl said...

I like you new definition. Will use it for myself if you don't mind.

December 15, 2005 6:10 PM  
Blogger Curious Pussy said...

By all means, please do!

December 15, 2005 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this post the first day it was posted and just couldn't think of anything else to add. You said it all and stimulated me to meditate about my own view about the word. Negative? Powerful? Demeaning? Endearing? I choose the even ones.

daisy

December 15, 2005 9:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've blogged in the past about the word cunt. It's always been my favorite word. It's a strong word, and there's power in it (note all of the people your momcalled cunts were people who exerted power over her in some form or another--though it doesn't always have to be negatively so as it was for her)

December 16, 2005 12:44 AM  
Blogger Curious Pussy said...

Excellent point d/e. I think the theme is that women who exert their power, whether fairly or not, are often labled cunts. Men are just being men, you know? Then when you heap on that the labeling that happens when women own our "sexual powers" (sluts, cunts, whores, etc)... well, you get the picture. Sometimes reclaiming a word like cunt or queer or nigger takes a huge leap of faith to believe that you will one day come to fully believe the positive attributes of the word you are reclaiming.

December 16, 2005 8:25 AM  
Blogger Curious Pussy said...

Oh yeah, thanks all for taking the time to comment! Purrr.

c.p.

December 16, 2005 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to like the word cunt. It is the only obe I use when having sex and it is a great descrition of a woman who you have got down on her back and doing you like you want.

December 19, 2005 3:50 AM  
Blogger Curious Pussy said...

Why is it I find lazy spelling (please, use the spell check or the on-line dictionary if you must) as offensive as the idea of someone thinking my cunt is purely for their pleasure alone?

December 19, 2005 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was awesome, your take on life is like a breath of fresh sea air!

April 19, 2006 1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a male and say "pussy" when I am jocular and "vulva" when I have to be proper. I despise the metaphorical uses of the four letter word beginning with c and rhyming with runt. I have never heard it used to refer to sluttish or randy women, or to bossy women. A c-t is not necessarily female, but is an asshole with a vengeance. But to compare an offensive person to the female genitalia just doesn't seem right to me. Pussy is at once powerful, and very inviting, and not threatening at all.

I appreciate where the insulting use of prick comes from. A prick is a thing that can knock you up, infect you, and even rape you; it's that simple. A pussy never hurt anyone, and is the human analog of the flowers of the plant world. My wife has been known to say "my flower..."

June 04, 2008 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home