Friday, July 01, 2005

What's In a Name?

Twiddly asked a while ago my thoughts on the difference between gay and queer? Well, in a nutshell, I think people who self identify as "gay" or "lesbian" are more likely to want to assimilate into mainstream society. And people who self identify as "queer" are more likely to want to change the rest of the world. Yes, a sweeping generalization I know, but still just my take on things. Keep in mind this is also a generational thing as self identifying as "gay" 20 years ago was very different then it is in today's context.

2 Comments:

Blogger TwiddlyBits said...

Thanks for the clarification, CP!

July 06, 2005 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A gay friend of mine says that the word "queer" is one of the worst things you can call a gay man. He prefers others to use the term gay. My wife is his "fag hag" -- his term.

July 11, 2005 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home