Thursday, February 16, 2006

HNT #6


For the past eleven years only one being has been by my side loving me unconditionally, always forgiving my shortcomings, and adoring me whole heartedly. My dog.

The past few months she slowed down a bit. But this morning she fell out of bed. Then all day long she kept falling and tripping and moaning, looking at her backside questioningly, like she sometimes does when she farts and then tries to figure out what invisible thing just ran past her butt. By the time the emergency vet saw her she had collapsed on the floor. Her head in my lap she looked up at me with her big, brown, loving eyes imploring me to help her. It turns out the cancer we thought we had "gotten" has come back. And this time there isn't anything we can do. Except wait for the inevitable. And love each other desperately every minute we have left.

8 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I am so sorry to read about your dog. They are such great company anytime of the day or night.

February 16, 2006 8:33 PM  
Blogger Zephyr said...

Pets are better friends than many humans. I'm very sorry about what you're going through... incredibly touching HNT pic.

*hugs*

February 17, 2006 5:39 AM  
Blogger SD said...

Oh, I'm so sorry CP! I truly am. I wish there was something poignant I could say to ease your pain, but words always seem to fail me when I need them most.

You're both in my thoughts. Sincerely.

*HUGS*

February 17, 2006 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My springer spaniel, Pepper, went through the same thing.. and even though I know she had a good life with me, it was heart-breaking to watch.. when she lost control of her balance I realised that time was short. One thing that sticks out in my mind though, is that I never got the impression that she was experiencing pain as such.. and that's something I keep to the forefront of my thoughts.

It's the good memories that you need to keep, curious... not the last.

charon
xox

February 17, 2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger good girl said...

I'm so sorry about your puppy. I hope you are able to enjoy the time you have left together. I'll be thinking of you.

February 17, 2006 4:13 PM  
Blogger Some Woman said...

Oh, I'm sorry.

February 17, 2006 5:05 PM  
Blogger The Smoking Redhead said...

Oh my gosh, that is so sad. I am so sorry.

Just love on each other!

February 18, 2006 9:48 AM  
Blogger LibraryGirl said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope all the time you have with her is filled with love.

February 18, 2006 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home